There are several ways to add video to WordPress. The method you use will depend on the WordPress video player service for your video.
Below, I show you three methods to embed a video in WordPress. These include adding video using a video file, adding a video using YouTube, and adding a video using Vimeo.
Choose WordPress Video Player
The simplest way to add a video to WordPress is to use the WordPress Media Library. This does not require using a third-party WordPress video player such as those video players you embed into WordPress for YouTube or Vimeo.
You can just upload the video and then add the video to your WordPress post or add the video to your WordPress page. See steps below in the Add Video To WordPress Using WordPress Media Library section.
If you already have videos uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo, then it makes sense to use a WordPress video player specifically for those services. This usually requires adding some code to your WordPress post or WordPress page. Or you can use a plugin specifically for the type of video you are using.
See steps below in the sections on adding video to WordPress for YouTube and Vimeo.
Add Video To WordPress Using The Media Library
If you are not using a third-party website to host your videos, then you can add your videos directly to your WordPress media library.
Pros For Using WordPress Media Library
- Not third-party service.
- No plugin required
Cons For Using WordPress Media Library
- Takes up disk space on your website
- Could impact website performance.
- Dependent on the built-in browser video player
Follow these steps to add video to WordPress using the media library:
- Select the “Media” menu item from the WordPress Admin menu.
- Either select “Add New” below in the “Media” sub-menu or click the “Add New” button on the “Media Library” page.
- In both cases, you can then drag-and-drop the video file to your media library. Or you can click the “Select Files” button to use your browser’s file upload dialog box.
Once the video file is in your media library, you can add the video to your post or page. Follow these steps to add a video to your WordPress blog:
- On the WordPress Post or WordPress Page editor select the “Add Media” button above the editor on the Classic Editor.
- Select the video file. Make sure “Embed Media Player” next to “Embed or Link” under ATTACHMENT DISPLAY SETTINGS.
- Click the “Insert into post” button
The video file is now embedded in your WordPress post.
If your video files are hosted on a third-party site such as YouTube or Vimeo, you do not have to upload the video file to your WordPress blog. Below are the steps needed to add video from these websites.
Add Video To WordPress Using YouTube
If the video you want to include in your post or page is hosted on YouTube, then you can use a YouTube plugin to add your video. Follow these steps to install the YouTube plugin:
- Select “Plugins” from the WordPress Admin menu.
- Enter “YouTube” in the Search text box
- Install the YouTube Plugin
A new “YouTube Free” menu item will be added to the WordPress Admin. Select the menu item and walk through the setup process.
Once the YouTube plugin is installed, follow these steps to add the YouTube video:
- In the editor, place your cursor where you want the YouTube video to be added.
- Click the new “YouTube” button
- The “Visual YouTube Search Tool and Wizard” dialog will be displayed.
- Select ” Embed a single video”
- Enter the URL of the YouTube video you want to embed. Click the “Submit” button. And then the “Insert Into Editor” button
The plugin code will be added to the editor.
The YouTube video is now embedded in the post.
Add Video To WordPress Using Vimeo
If the video you want to include in your post or page is hosted on Vimeo, then follow these steps to add video using Vimeo.
- Go to the Vimeo video you want to add.
- Click the Share icon below the video
- Select “Copy embed code”
Now go to the post you want to embed the Vimeo video and follow these steps to add the Vimeo video to the post:
- Click the “Text” tab
- Paste the embed code in the editor where you want to display the Vimeo video
The Vimeo video is now embedded in the post.
Check out the following WordPress tutorials and WordPress guides:
- Learn WordPress: Getting Started With WordPress CMS
- One-Click WordPress Install and Set Up
- How To Choose A WordPress Theme
- How To Install WordPress Themes
- Customizing WordPress Themes
- Top 7 WordPress Tips For Beginners
- Popular WordPress Plugins
- How To Create A Custom Homepage In WordPress
- How To Create A Page In WordPress
- WordPress Admin Panel Guide
- WordPress Admin Getting Started Guide
- How To Edit The WordPress Menu Bar
- WordPress Category Page: How Categories Work In WordPress
- WordPress Tag Page: How Tags Work In WordPress
- Your WordPress Media Library Questions Answered
- Easy Way To Edit Images In WordPress: Resize, Flip, Rotate, And Crop Explained
- Add WordPress Post: How To Create A WordPress Post Now
Want to get up and running quickly with your WordPress blog without the hassle of picking a hosting company and installing WordPress and essential features?
Website Buoy offers plans that include WordPress hosting, WordPress installation, WordPress Themes customizations, essential features, and support so that you can start blogging right away.
Check out our WordPress Design Services.